Jam’s for s(m)uckers.
In Somerville, lip-smacking marshmallow Fluff reigns supreme in sandwiches, and there’s a festival to declare it. The What The Fluff? festival returns this Sunday, Sept. 24 to honor the city’s legendary + creamy sandwich spread, which was concocted by confectioner Archibald Query in the early 20th century.
For year No. 18, the festival will occupy a stretch of Somerville Avenue between Dane Street and Warren Avenue, swirling Fluff-themed fun in Union Square from 3 to 7 p.m.
Here’s the rundown of the afternoon.
- The MBTA will offer shuttle service to Union Square, due to the current service suspension between Lechmere and the Union Square Station.
- Three shuttles will run between the East Somerville Station and Union Square Station from 2:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- The Route 87 bus can make connections to Somerville Avenue at Stone and Loring Avenues.
- Bike valets will also be available on Somerville Avenue at the corners of School Street and Warren Avenue, courtesy of MassBike.
Indulge in Somerville’s invention from a distance by checking out live entertainment on the Fluff’n Jam Stage, featuring music from local artists like Grace Givertz + The White Owls. Adventurous guests can get their hands dirty at the aptly-titled Shenanigans Stage, which will bring a sticky twist to musical chairs, jousting, and limbo. Review the full schedule.
Find these experimental takes on Fluff favorites throughout the festival.
- Oysters FLUFFefeller — Bluefin
- Fluffernutter donut — Union Square Donuts
- Canned Fluff cocktails — Nook Somerville
- Orange Creamsicle Cocktail topped with Fluff — Saus at Bow Market
- Fluff Naan and Fluff Samosas — Masala Square Indian Kitchen
UPDATE: This article now reflects the festival’s rain date, Sunday, Sept. 24.